Monday, October 17, 2011

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

written by Ransom Riggs

The concept of the book is, to me, ground-breaking.  I loved the idea of it.  Incorporating these dark, dismal, incredibly creepy (and real) photographs into his story was fantastic.  The book was visually beautiful and intriguing. 

But the actual story... I can't physically make myself say that I loved it or hated it.  Before I knew the answers to the mysterious questions running frantically through my head, the book was so exciting.  Once everything was explained (all at once and way too soon), the excitement was kind of... gone... and it was just a task of finishing what I had begun.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it was bad--- not that bad, anyway.  It just could have been so much better!  The characters were great; I loved Emma.  I just feel he didn't spend enough time developing the actual story.

Now- the ending.  Maybe he's planning on a sequel?  It was like he just forgot to put int he last part of the story.  Maybe he doesn't want us to know what happens to Jacob, Emma, Miss Peregrine, and the rest of the Peculiars.  Either way, I hope the sequel (if there is one) is more thought out than this book was.

Also, I've heard talk of a movie... I hope they can do the photographs justice... The visuals are stunning additions to the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment